Labels

Newsletter

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Song of the hunter

Song of the hunter
Flash Poem
Sam Mwaka-karama
The hunter looks-in the water urn himself, to believe
For it is a lie to say; there be not a drop of water.
The vengeful tongue of the sun rake the tall big hunter
No moisture in the air – no saliva – dry throat
There is worldly emptiness – the leaves are down.
Fruit trees barren – no birds to fly the winds
It is still and alarmingly quiet – the day is asleep
In hot broad day light.

The hunter looks-in the water pitcher himself, to believe
One more hill, not a rabbit – not a squirrel
O! Providence how do I return my tortured feet today?
The blade of my spear is plain and bloodless
Is not this my day?
Is not my wife’s pot clean off the vegetable?
What makes my front empty O! You Ancestors!
That my path is rare and unlikely – this day
That my way is thorny this blaze… of an afternoon
Is not the grinding stone of my woman musical?
With what song do I brave it, tonight!
O! With what song do I wet her heart tonight?
The water pitcher falls empty on my waistband
Ulu ulu ulu ulu ulu
This was poverty?  That no animal cross my path this day…
How was this ever, poverty!
What makes my front empty you ancestors?
My ulurugucc… feel heavy and limp!
My spear feels hot and sharp – but alas!
My limps jerky – stiff, dry with no rhythm
Not a rare beat in my step
Ulu ulu ulu ulu ulu
Has not a double-crosser entered my house in my absence?
With what might he have crossed my wake O! You spirits of old…
How do I enter my home kraal without a kill…
How do I stand a bloodless spear at the door of my hut?
What is my well-come-back home – you ancestors?
Where is the skull and tongue - I should roast in the open bonfire tonight?
What is my big story!

O! You ancestors – turn not your faces from me…
That the wind not be perennially wiping to my disfavor
Hear my cry O! You ancestors – that I might run into the unlikely odd!
That in the dying hour, my spear might sink into the warmth…
Ulu ulu ulu ulu ulu ulu
Did not I, make my juge-juge thanks and offer?
That today I must return my feet in lack and shame
What must I do – what must I do?
  




No comments:

Post a Comment